What To Do's And Gratitude

Thus far, over the past few weeks, I have had a pretty easy going internship (knocks on wood); however, I have encountered my first sleeper...and when I say sleeper, I mean this kid is clearly exhausted. I have tried everything from staying engaged with him throughout the hour, to constant "Hey buddy! Wake up!". He isn't argumentative when I attempt my redirection from the back of his eyelids to our classwork, but he cannot stay focused for more than 5 minutes. I work with special needs students, primarily emotionally disabled, so I am trying to take into count that he might be on medications that make him tired. Also, a lot of the students who attend my school have chaotic home lives, so that could be another factor. Luckily, my class size is small enough where I can sit with him, along with the others, and keep him on task. My concern is what to do when I cannot sit by his side. What do I do then?

Other than that, it has been a smooth ride! I enjoy my MT and the students,as well as the learning material we are working on. I have been thinking a lot in terms of what strategies I will use as a teacher, and I am getting a lot of ideas from our Image Grammar text! It has really allowed my brain to think outside of the box- especially when it comes to introducing new and scary material to my students. I believe I have spoken about this with my classmates already, but I love the concept of a think aloud using a painting/image. Giving students a physical reference will help them be more engaged, while also adding depth to the lesson. Working on composition is something I want to weave into my curriculum, and using a visual will add a nice touch, in my opinion. 


With all of that being said, I look forward to continuing my journey and reading about yours! I am grateful to be sharing my learning experience with those who can not only sympathize, but empathize as well! We are on the home stretch, Shocker family! 




Comments

  1. Thanks for this post! I’m thrilled that Image Grammar is giving you some ideas for teaching language/grammar in meaningful ways to your students, and I look forward to reading about how that plays out in your placement! I’d love to see you pursue your line of inquiry into sleeping students a bit further. What resources can you find out there that further inform your professional perspective on how to respond to/encourage sleeping students?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning About Language Aquisition: Staying Prepared