Roles: Paras vs. Teachers
Holy mackerel, what a semester!!! Even though I am completely stressed out, my to-do lists have to-do lists, and my homework pile is stacked higher than the hiding spot where I camouflage the cookies from everyone in my household- I am still kicking! Core 3 has been everything and nothing that I expected, if that makes sense. I love my placement, and I am enjoying the content of my classes; however, I had no idea my life would be as "to the minute' as it is! There is no room, at any point in my weekly schedule, for surprises. I mean...if I wake up five minutes late, the day is thrown off! The only thing that is holding me together, other than my family, is staying grateful. Gratitude lists have become apart of my daily routine; along with the constant "This will be over soon" thoughts. Anyhoo...There was my mini-rant. Now to business.
My current struggle is the role I play in my classroom. I am so used to being a para, and I have found myself slipping into that role more often then not. It isn't intentional, but it happens. I find that I am helping students with their work more than I am teaching them, and I don't know how to fix it...or if it is a bad thing. I help with instruction, but when it comes time for my students to work, I sit at their tables and lend my help when needed. One technique I have tried is standing. I try not to sit with them, but more so stand around their general area. This works up until work time pops up, then I find myself defaulting back to the trusty para mode. Does anyone have any tips in terms of staying in the teacher role? Is it a bad thing to sit beside your students while they work? My class size in tremendously smaller than the norm, so I do not usually have the issue of my back turned to any specific student, or neglecting other students. In fact, the entire class can fit around 2 round tables, if that gives you a better idea.
With all of that being said, we are almost half way through our core 3, friends!!! Keep on keepin' on and everything else will fall into place!
Emily,
ReplyDeleteI first applaud you for choosing the school you did! Going into a school knowing most students will have behavior problems is very admirable of you, and I know you have a passion for helping and teaching these kids!
I agree that standing may alter the students perception of you, but on the other hand I also believe that sitting among your students can help them see you as a resource and can make them more apt to ask for assistance or even share ideas with you.
In regards to helping you students, do they ask you questions about the work or seem confused with the directions? Often times when I see students who are struggling with assignments or just flat out not doing them, it is because they don't even fully understand what we are asking them to do. If that is the case I would try to describe the instructions in a different light for them!
If your students are struggling more so with coming up with answers, I would try asking them questions in return that require them to think critically, whether that be referring back to the text/assignment or even connecting the assignment to their personal lives. At times this may be rather difficult to ask these questions or make connections, but I find asking students questions often leads to them finding answers themselves.
I hope you find these comments at least somewhat useful! :)
Keep up the hard work girl! Our friends, families, and students will make this chaotic year all worth it in the end!
I love Brandy’s advice to you, Emily. Think also about how what you’re doing is actually conferencing with students—as recommended by Bomer (and will be recommended by Penny Kittle in CI 616).
ReplyDelete