That is the True Genius of Education (Reflection #5)

I started this rendition in class a few weeks ago; however, as I continued to compose at a later date- it became all too real. We start our journeys in the teaching field with pretty much the same goal: We want to make a difference. We want to change, or influence, the lives of the youth around us. We walk into the classroom with invisible capes on, thinking that we can change all lives. Where this is going to be true, not all students will succeed. Not all students are going to WANT to learn. This job is going to be hard, and we will be faced with many challenges. The road is not always going to be as simple as the ideals of no child left behind, or the thought that our words will sink into all of our students; however, still knowing this, we begin with the same goal: We want to make a difference.


This is a rendition of Obama's 2004 National Convention keynote address:

That is the true genius of Education, a student; a teacher drowning in papers to grade,
an idealistic goal that no child will be left behind;
that we can successfully reach all students
and know that they will be productive members of society;
that we can model, or guide, without failure;
that we can meet our students at the top
without disappointment;
that we can effectively show them how to get from A to B
without faltering,
and that we will succeed in the world of education
--at least most of the time.

Comments

  1. I want to make a difference indeed, Emily, and your rendition of Obama's address captures that struggle/challenge perfectly. It is sobering to read a piece that reiterates the reality that we will not always be the driving force of change in our students that our expectations expect us to be. However, we will do our best to make our students bridge a gap to success. Not only do the paralleled structures give this piece an emphasis, but the honest words within each line keep this authentic. Thank you for being on this journey with me Emily. I will miss your wisdom and I hope to continue a positive, working relationship with you in the future. I have learned a lot from you throughout the semesters, and this reflection is just another nugget of wonderful insight you have given me.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you shared your imitation, Emily. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning About Language Aquisition: Staying Prepared